Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Government officials in Malawi are upset about the situation. “I am very shocked with the situation I have seen after monitoring the mine here and all my questions to the Paladin boss have not been answered satisfactory

Meanwhile international experts are starting to question the benefits of the Kayelekera mine

Australian Uranium Mining Company Accused of Contaminating Lake Malawi By Mayu Chang……Global Research, January 29, 2015  CorpWatch  Paladin Energy, an Australian mining company, has been accused of discharging uranium-contaminated sludge into Lake Malawi, which supports 1.7 million people in three countries – Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania. The company began uranium mining operations in Malawi in 2009 although it suspended operations last year after ore prices fell.

“It is rumored that Paladin secretly have started discharging the so called purified water. Reports from the Beach Village Chairman indicates that this started in late November,” wrote Rafiq Hajat of Malawi’s Institute for Policy Interaction on Facebook. “[At] a radius of 35 km from the Boma, you will be shocked to see fish of different species dead with some communities along the lakeshore collecting [the fish].”……………“Uranium is radioactive and that with open-pit mining, like the one to be conducted at Kayelekera, the soil drains into rivers and contaminates the water,” Titus Mvalo, a lawyer representing several civil society organizations in Malawi, told Inter Press Service in 2007. “When humans drink the water, it damages kidneys and causes cancer.

At the time, the activist groups warned that the mine would pose a threat to Lake Malawi, Africa’s third largest freshwater lake, which is a major source of drinking water and fish for the country. Christopher Mwambene, the executive director of Coordination Union for Rehabilitation of the Environment (CURE), a Blantyre-based environmental NGO, estimated that catch from the lake provides 20 percent of the protein requirement for Malawi’s population.

Perhaps even more damning was the assertion that Paladin was planning to use lower standards to build the Kayelekera mine. “Paladin are certainly not meeting Australian standards and they would not get approval in Australia if they were to present the same EIS here.” Dr. Gavin Mudd, an environmental engineering professor at Monash University in Melbourne, told ABC television news in 2007.

Mudd says that uranium tailings (waste) are typically stored under the water table in Australia and Canada, to reduce the risk of contamination. In Malawi, however, Paladin chose to store the tailings above ground behind a specially contructed dam.

“What Paladin is proposing for Kayelekera is it will depend on what happens with the rainfall and climate, but every few years or so allowing the excess build-up of water to be discharged into the local river system and local water resources,” Mudd added.

“This dam is in a catchment area of the stream,” Reinford Mwangonde, the executive director of Citizens for Justice, an NGO in Malawi, told ABC at the time. “The stream runs into Lake Malawi. A number of people in the community depend on that river for domestic water purposes.

Mudd’s predictions appear to have come true. On January 5, a heavy storm caused the liner in a Kayelekera run-off tank to rupture, releasing up to 500 cubic meters of waste…………….

Government officials in Malawi are upset about the situation. “I am very shocked with the situation I have seen after monitoring the mine here and all my questions to the Paladin boss have not been answered satisfactory,” Alex Major, the deputy chairperson of the Parliamentary Natural Resources and Climate Change Committee told a local town hall meeting on January 10.

Meanwhile international experts are starting to question the benefits of the Kayelekera mine. After visiting the country last July, Olivier de Schutter, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, came out against the project. “The criticism is the deals could have been much more equitable, and could have allowed Malawi to use its resources better for the benefit of the population,” he told ABC television news in Australia.

In any case, today Malawi is no longer benefiting financially from Paladin’s operations. ……..

Experts says that the ultimate costs of the Kayelekera mine could be very high. “Uranium mining is associated with high environmental impacts and human health risks’” Fleur Scheele, then researcher at the World Information Service on Energy (WISE), an Amsterdam-based anti-nuclear organization, and author of a report on uranium mining in Africa published in 2011. “The costs of rehabilitation of the mining area are often many times higher than the total revenues derived during the mine’s entire lifetime.http://www.globalresearch.ca/australian-uranium-mining-company-accused-of-contaminating-lake-malawi/5428142


India looks to use US formula to convince France and Australia –  Indian Express by Shubhajit Roy | New Delhi | January 27, 2015 A day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama announced a resolution to the nuclear liability issue and administrative arrangements, India  plans to engage with France and Australia in the next few weeks to clear the remaining hurdles before nuclear commerce.

India will share the Indo-US formula on resolving the nuclear liability issue with France to resolve the issue of liability with the latter as well, sources said — this has come in the way of nuclear commerce with Areva, the French nuclear supplier.

With Australia, the sources said, India will share the template of its administrative arrangements with Canada — and now the US — so that uranium from Australia can be supplied without further delay. India signed an uranium supply agreement with Australia last September, when Prime Minister Tony Abbott visited the country.

……….The US is said to be no longer insisting on tracking these supplies, required under its rules to ensure it is not being used for military purposes. -……http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/india-looks-to-use-us-formula-to-convince-france-and-australia/


When we think of cancer in our Western world, we tend to think of harsh chemicals or toxic radiation as the treatments. But promising new research published in the journal Phytomedicine suggests that we might want to give serious consideration to the humble mushroom cordyceps that quietly rears its head deep within our forest floors.
Cordyceps (cordyceps militaris) is also known as caterpillar fungus and has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine as a lung and kidney tonic and for loss of stamina, fatigue, shallow breathing, wheezing, and as an aphrodisiac.
According to the Phytomedicine study on human leukemia cells, a compound found in cordyceps known as cordycepin seems to have a toxic effect on cancer cells while also causing cancer cells to commit suicide—a process known as apoptosis, without having a toxic effect on healthy cells.

A remarkable study reveals that a vaccinated individual not only can become infected with measles, but can spread it to others who are also vaccinated against it – doubly disproving that two doses of MMR vaccine is “99% effective,” as widely claimed.

One of the fundamental errors in thinking about measles vaccine effectiveness is that receipt of measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine equates to bona fide immunity against these pathogens. Indeed, it is commonly claimed that receiving two doses of the MMR vaccine is “99 percent effective in preventing measles,”1 despite a voluminous body of contradictory evidence from epidemiology and clinical experience.

This erroneous thinking has led the public, media and government alike to attribute the origin of measles outbreaks, such as the one recently reported at Disney, to the non-vaccinated, even though 18% of the measles cases occurred in those who had been vaccinated against it — hardly the vaccine’s claimed “99% effective.” The vaccine’s obvious fallibility is also indicated by the fact that that the CDC now requires two doses.

But the problems surrounding the failing MMR vaccine go much deeper.


‘The US Defense Department has decided to keep secret its massive spending in Afghanistan, according to Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction (SIGAR).

“[The Pentagon] is about to come and scrub our computers of the data,” Alex Bronstein-Moffl, SIGAR’s director of public affairs, told Fusion.

According to a report by SIGAR, the institution can no longer track how billions of American taxpayer dollars are being spent in Afghanistan.’

Read more: Pentagon to keep secret military spending in Afghanistan


‘Benjamin Netanyahu has long been accused by Palestinians and African refugees of being a racist. But now the Israeli Prime Minister is being sued by a former bodyguard who says that he was constantly subjected to racist and physical abuse.

Manny Naftali, 35, says that Bibi and his wife Sarah did not just provide him with a job, primarily as a bodyguard, they also provided him with constant abuse. The former soldier says that the humiliating treatment by Mrs Netanyahu was the worse, and it occurred almost entirely with her husband’s knowledge.’

Read more: Netanyahu and His Wife Are Being Sued For ‘Racist and Physical Abuse’ of African Bodyguard and Maid


FBI foils its own terror attack plans, once again: US nuclear scientist secretly taped by FBI claiming he could bomb New York

| 29 Jan 2015 | A disgruntled, former Los Alamos National Laboratory scientist promised to build 40 nuclear weapons for Venezuela and design a bomb targeted for New York City in exchange for “money and power,” according to secret FBI recordings released Wednesday. In the recordings, Pedro Leonardo Mascheroni tells an agent posing as a Venezuelan official that the bombs would prevent the United States from invading the oil-rich nation and brags to his wife that the passing of secrets would make him wealthy. The recordings were played Wednesday in US District Court in Albuquerque before a federal judge sentenced Mascheroni, 79, to five years in prison followed by three years of supervised release as part of a plea agreement.



  • Facebook will ban pages in Turkey which ‘insult Prophet Mohammed’
  • Comes weeks after Zuckerberg defended right to be offensive in post
  • Turkey also banned web access to cover of Charlie Hebdo magazine
  • Move is seen as the latest in crackdown on ‘offending religious material’

Facebook has reportedly agreed to censor cartoons of Prophet Mohammed just two weeks after its founder defended the right to free speech in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo terror attacks.

The social network made the decision after Turkish authorities threatened to block the site entirely if it did not remove the images – some of which come from Charlie Hebdo magazine.

The dramatic about-face will be personally embarrassing for Zuckerberg, coming weeks  after he defiantly said: ‘[Facebook] will never let one country or group dictate what people can share.’

Facebook pages which 'insult' the Prophet Mohammed have been blocked in Turkey following a court order, leading to founder Mark Zuckerberg being blasted online

Facebook pages which ‘insult’ the Prophet Mohammed have been blocked in Turkey following a court order, leading to founder Mark Zuckerberg being blasted online

In a post dated January 8, while Said and Cherif Kouachi were still on the run having shot 12 people dead in Paris, he wrote: ‘A few years ago, an extremist in Pakistan fought to have me sentenced to death because Facebook refused to ban content about Mohammed that offended him.

‘We stood up for this because different voices — even if they’re sometimes offensive — can make the world a better and more interesting place.

‘Facebook has always been a place where people across the world share their views and ideas.


  • Mother-of-three Marissa Alexander was free to walk out of court on Tuesday after receiving two years house arrest as part of a plea deal
  • Her original sentence had been highlighted as an example of the unfairness of Florida’s Stand Your Ground law
  • The original verdict was thrown out after a judge ruled that the court had incorrectly required Alexander to prove she was abused by her husband
  • Applause erupted in the courtroom after Tuesday’s verdict and outside Alexander said she and her family could now ‘move on with our lives’

A Florida woman originally sentenced to 20 years behind bars for firing a warning shot to scare off her abusive husband and two stepsons, has been released from jail to spend the remainder of her two year sentence on house arrest.

Mother-of-three Marissa Alexander, 34, had claimed self-defense in her originally trial and her tough sentence was highlighted a year later as an example of the unfairness of Florida’s Stand Your Ground law after George Zimmerman was acquitted of murdering Trayvon Martin in 2013.

On Tuesday Alexander was sentenced to the 1,095 days she has already served in jail after pleading guilty to three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon as part of a plea agreement for the 2010 shooting.

Free at last: Marissa Alexander walks by her dad Raoul Jenkins and is surrounded by her legal team and supporters after her sentencing in Jacksonville, Florida on Tuesday

Free at last: Marissa Alexander walks by her dad Raoul Jenkins and is surrounded by her legal team and supporters after her sentencing in Jacksonville, Florida on Tuesday

She also received two years of house arrest.

Applause erupted in the courtroom and once she was outside of the courthouse, Alexander read the following statement: ‘Today, after the sentence given by Judge Daniel, my family and I will be able to move on with our lives.

‘Although the journey has been long and there’s been many difficult moments, I could not have arrived here, where I am today, without the thoughts, many thoughts and many prayers of so many people who voiced their support and encouragement.


A massive California fire left one dead and six injured as flames blazed on for hours Wednesday night and into Thursday’s early hours.

The four-alarm fire broke out around 6.50pm Wednesday at a large building in San Francisco’s Mission District, according to ABC7.

Local fire chief Joanne Hayes White told Mission Local that there has been one confirmed death, an adult male, and six others are being treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation and burns.

Massive Fire: A massive California fire left one dead and six injured as flames blazed on for hours Wednesday night and into Thursday's early hours

Massive Fire: A massive California fire left one dead and six injured as flames blazed on for hours Wednesday night and into Thursday’s early hours

Mission District: The four-alarm fire broke out around 6.50pm Wednesday at a large building in San Francisco's Mission District

Mission District: The four-alarm fire broke out around 6.50pm Wednesday at a large building in San Francisco’s Mission District

Details of the man’s death have not been released.

The fire reportedly started in the attic of the building located near 22nd and Mission streets and quickly escalated. Flames quickly engulfed the building’s roof and top floor, San Jose Mercury News reports.


  • Tensions boiled over proposed law for civilian oversight of police conduct
  • Republican Jeff Roorda became embroiled in war of words with chairman
  • Roorda was wearing bracelet in support of ex-cop who shot black teenager 
  • He was then accused of pushing a black woman as the melee erupted
  • Attendee yelled: ‘You white supremacist motherf*****. Get f*** out of here!’ 

A brawl broke out during a meeting to discuss the conduct of police in the city where riots erupted after a black teenager was shot dead by a white officer.

The audience grew restless as police officers spoke out against a proposed civilian oversight board that would examine the force’s actions in future at St Louis City Hall.

Missouri state Republican Jeff Roorda, who is also business manager of the city’s police union, reportedly became involved in a slanging match with meeting chairman Terry Kennedy.

Roorda, who was said to have been wearing a wristband in support of Darren Wilson, the ex-police officer who shot Michael Brown, then allegedly pushed a black woman as a melee erupted.

Video of the fracas reveals someone in the crowd shouting abuse at Roorda, telling him: ‘You white supremacist motherf*****. Get the f*** out of here, man!’

Fracas: A mass brawl breaks out at a meeting at St Louis City Hall when tensions boil over during a discussion on a proposed new law that would see civilians examining the future conduct of police 


Pentagon documents: Obama to request big defense budget hike

| 27 Jan 2015 | President Barack Obama will ask Congress for a hefty, almost 8 percent boost for the Pentagon, including $5.3 billion to equip and train Iraqi soldiers and moderate Syrian ‘rebels’ to fight create more Islamic State militants in the Middle East. Obama will ask for $534 billion for the core budget of the Defense Department — a $38 billion increase — according to “pre-decisional” Pentagon documents obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday. That means there could be some slight changes when the budget actually comes out Monday…Another $51 billion would go for overseas military missions, including $43 billion for ongoing operations in Afghanistan [to protect the CIA’s opium production] and $3.8 billion to ‘train’ Afghan security forces


Sydney Café Hostage Killed by Police Bullet – Inquest

| 29 Jan 2015 | A hostage who died during a siege in a downtown Sydney cafe was killed when she was struck by fragments of a bullet fired from a police officer’s gun as authorities stormed in to end the 16-hour standoff, a lawyer told an inquest on Thursday. Katrina Dawson, a 38-year-old lawyer who was among 18 people taken hostage last month by a gunman, died after being hit by six fragments of a police bullet that had ricocheted off a hard surface, Jeremy Gormly, a lawyer assisting the coroner, told the Glebe Coroner’s Court. One fragment struck a major blood vessel and she quickly lost consciousness, he said.


US allocates Ukraine far-right regime $2 billion

| 28 Jan 2015 | The U.S. Government provides financial support to Ukraine[‘s pro-Nazi regime] in the form of government guarantees worth $2 billion. The corresponding declaration has been signed by finance minister of Ukraine Natalie Jaresko and U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Joseph Lew, an Ukrinform correspondent has reported.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,304 other followers

%d bloggers like this: